Lewes FC
Men's 1st
Enfield Town FC
Men's 1st
Lewes FC
Men's 1st
Enfield Town FC
Men's 1st
Buy Tickets

Match Details

About The Queen Elizabeth Stadium

The stand out feature of the Queen Elizabeth Stadium is the main stand which for all you art and architecture aficionados is a Grade II listed building, designed in 1939 and completed in 1953.  The bar at the top of the stand offers some panoramic views of the game, albeit from a distance away.  There’s a few rows of seats up here too.

There is a small raised terrace halfway between the main stand and the edge of the pitch, whilst behind each goal are small covered terraces.  On the far side is a small seated stand that straddles the half-way line.  The ground hosted a number of games in the 2018 CONIFA World Cup including the final in front of a record attendance of over 2,000 fans.

How to get to The Queen Elizabeth Stadium

The ground is relatively easy to find if you are coming down from the M25, Junction 25 which means you need to head up the A3/M23 then anti-clockwise around the M25 (it’s a 10 mile shorter trip than going clockwise but if the Dartford Crossing is bad it could be an option) to Junction 25.  Take a left at the roundabout and head south on the A10.  Follow the A10 towards Central London for around 1.8 miles and then take a right into Carterhatch Lane, then first left into Donkey Lane.  The ground is around the corner.  There’s plenty of free parking opposite the entrance.

The 93-mile journey from Lewes should take around 1 hour 45 minutes depending on the traffic and time of day.

There are two train stations close to the ground.  Southbury is a 30-minute journey from London Liverpool Street.  Exit the station and then take a left onto Southbury Road.  At the junction with the A10 use the pedestrian crossing to cross and then take a right and head north up the A10.  At the end of the playing fields there is an alley on the left – take this and the ground is ahead on the right.

Enfield Town is on another line from London Liverpool Street and is a 33-minute journey time.  Exit the station and turn right along Southbury Road.  After you have passed Tesco on your right, cross the road and take next left into Ladysmith Road.  Follow this road for 500 yards before taking a right down the path where the ground is at the end.

Admission at The Queen Elizabeth Stadium

Admission this season is £11 for adults, £7 for concessions (senior citizens and students), Under16s £1 plus there is a £1 charge to transfer to the seats in the main stand.

Fancy a beer?

The nearest pub to the ground is the Toby Carvery on the A10/Donkey Lane junction but you can do better than that!  The Cricketers on Chase Side does some good ales on draft and is a 20-minute walk from the ground.  The Kings Head is in Market Place and is recommended.  It is almost next door to the Barclays Bank which had the first ATM machine in the UK (even better random fact, Reg Varney from On the Buses fame was the first customer to use the machine).  There’s also a decent bar at the top of the main stand in the ground which services rotating craft beers.

Bostik League Premier Division
Jan 5, 2019
3:00 pm
3 Donkey Lane, Enfield, Middlesex, EN1 3PL

Match Report

On a bleak and cold Saturday afternoon, the weather was a good indicator as to what was to lay in store for Enfield and Lewes at the Queen Elizabeth II stadium, reports James Boyes.

Neither side had enough in them to really make a difference, although on balance maybe the hosts will feel more disappointed about having to share the points with the Rooks writes James Boyes.

Lewes boss Darren Freeman made a couple of changes to the side following the disappointing New Year’s Day defeat to Burgess Hill, replacing Dayshonne Golding and Jonte Smith with Harry Reed and Luke Blewden.

Things looked really positive for Lewes at the start as they made an electrifying start that caught Enfield cold. Omarr Lawson played in Blewden in the first minute but the striker shot wide, disappointed that he didn’t test keeper Joe Wright.

Town’s defence really struggled to cope with Blewden’s running and another example a minute later earned an unlikely corner.

Stacey Freeman broke free from the pack and peeled away to celebrate his cushioned header putting Lewes ahead until Sam Youngs booted the ball off the line.

Lewes looked assured, as if they’d made a dressing room pact to put the New Year’s Day result behind them, helped by Enfield’s general disorganisation.

The opening goal duly arrived in the 11th minute. Blewden’s masterly hold up play kept out Dan Rumens, allowing Lawson to run on into space and blast the ball past Wright to give Rooks a deserved lead.

Instead of pushing on, Lewes melted away and let Enfield back into the game. Only Freeman came between Mickey Parcell and the equalising goal in the 21st minute, and the defender was on hand soon after to block the danger from Billy Brickell, with Lewes keeper Lewis Carey eventually smothering his low shot.

Both sides had half chances but the increasing threat from Enfield saw them equalise eight minutes from time, Brickell’s neat lay-off finding Youngs whose sharp shot on the turn wrong-footed Carey.

Two minutes later Brickell, who was clearly the danger man for Enfield, almost put the hosts ahead, but his volley was tipped away at full stretch by a grateful Carey.

Enfield’s pressure continued after the break, with Carey again keeping out a dangerous free kick from Brickell before the striker had a goal disallowed for offside.

Kieran Pamment’s strong run took him to the by-line but his ball across the face of goal was missing a Lewes response before it was cleared.

From the resulting corner, Frankie Chappell headed the ball into Wright’s midriff but a lightning break from Enfield ended with Brickell shooting wide.

The remainder of the game was played out with neither side showing much urgency, which must have come as a disappointment for the Mayor of Enfield and the other dignitaries who were probably longing for the warmth of the council chamber by this stage.

With the Lewes fans all but resigned to a draw, a corner with ten minutes to go raised expectations but despite creating a great opportunity for himself, James Hammond headed the chance over the bar, along with any remaining hope of the Rooks bagging their first win of the new year.

The Rooks have a much shorter away trip next Saturday when they head to Worthing.

ENFIELD TOWN: Joe Wright; Sam Hatton (Remi Sutton 65); Mickey Parcell; Matthew Johnson; Marc Weatherstone; Dan Rumens; Bilal Sayoud; Ryan Blackman; Billy Bricknell; Sam Youngs (Joshua Davison 81); Aaron Greene (Junior Mubiayi 83)

SUBS: Ryan McLean; Steve Wales

BOOKED: Hatton, Parcell, Johnson

LEWES: Lewis Carey; Tom Day; Leon Redwood; Olu Oluwatimilehin; Frankie Chappell; Stacey Freeman; Harry Reed (Callum Overton 60); Omarr Lawson; Luke Blewden; James Hammond; Kieran Pamment

SUBS: Jonte Smith; Charlie Coppola; Dylan Gifford; Ross Barclay