Lewes FC
Men's 1st
Worthing FC
Men's 1st
Lewes FC
Men's 1st
Worthing FC
Men's 1st
Buy Tickets

Match Details

About Woodside Road

After the main stand burnt down in 1985, the club have rebuilt the ground into one of the best in the Isthmian League.   The impressive new main stand which is situated along the near touchline, dominates the ground and has been significantly improved over the past few years and offers some excellent views of the game. The stand also houses dressing rooms and function areas, as well as the Rebels’ Tavern, again, completely remodelled and modernised in the past few years.

For those wishing to stand, an alternative to the grandstand is provided on the touchline opposite, between the two dugouts. Behind and to either side of the cover is a grass bank that extends for most of the touchline, although there is also a small area of terracing at either end. Standing on the bank is prohibited, it remains a popular vantage point for many.  There are further covered terraced areas at each end of the ground, where the acoustics are excellent.  

There’s an outdoor bar area, which is very popular in the warmer months and the food, sold from the windows by the entrance, is hearty and well-priced.  It’s been far too long since we visited for a league game and already Worthing is likely to be one of the best away trips of the season.

How to get to Woodside Road

Go West, as the Pet Shop Boys said, along the A27 until you reach the roundabout with the A24, then take a left and drive past the Black Horse pub on your left and keep driving past the Jet petrol station which will also be on your left.  At the round-about, take the 2nd exit into Offington Lane. Remember that this is a 30mph road (watching the camera on your left) and carry on driving south. Continue to go straight on through the Thomas a’ Beckett traffic lights.

Follow the road round and go straight on at the first mini-roundabout.  About 100 meters along you’ll see another mini-roundabout, take a left here into St. Lawrence Avenue. There’s another mini-roundabout which you should go straight across.  150 meters along there’s another mini-roundabout, this time take a right down Nutbourne Road and continue going straight (negotiating the s-bend!) to the next junction.  Take a left down Bulkington Road and Woodside Road will be on your right in about 250 meters time although now would be a good time to park your car as Woodside Road itself gets very busy on match days.

Being a residential area, parking is tight.  On match days, driving/parking down Woodside Road is not advisable.  Try the roads situated around the ground: Bulkington Avenue, Nutbourne Road, Shermanbury Road, Gaisford Road, Woodmancote Road and at a possible Henty Road though this will get busy.  Journey from Lewes should take around 20-25 minutes depending on the traffic.

The ground is half a mile from Worthing (BR) Central station.  When you come out of the station, take an immediate right and walk parallel to the train-line down Cross Street.  About 100 meters down the road, you will see a train crossing.  Turn right here into South Farm Road.  Take the next left down Pavillion Road and walk along here for about 400 meters where you will see Woodside Road on the right and the ground is about another 200 meters on the left.

Admission at Woodside Road

Admission this season is £10 for adults, £5 for concessions (senior citizens and students), Under16s £3, 12 to 16-year olds £1 and accompanied under 16s are admitted free of charge.  

Fancy a beer?

The nearest pub to the ground is The Brooksteed Alehouse, a micro-pub, on South Farm Road, which is well-worth a visit.  The Corner House in the High Street is a free house and is also recommended.  Close by is the Selden Arms in Lyndhurst Road which has a good selection of craft ales.

Bostik League Premier Division
Jan 12, 2019
3:00 pm
Woodside Rd, Worthing, East Sussex, BN14 7HQ

Match Report

Lewes gained sweet revenge on the last-minute defeat back in October to beat Worthing in a pulsating game of football, reports Stuart Fuller.

Darren Freeman made one change from the draw at Enfield Town, bringing in Charlie Coppola for Leon Redwood, although Michael Dome-Bemwin returned to the bench after a few weeks out with injury.

The opening exchanges saw the hosts dominate with a series of corners that put the Lewes defence under pressure. However, at the other end it seemed that the hosts would make a mistake at some point in their playing from the back tactic and that was what happened in the first talking point of the game in the 27th minute when a ball from the keeper to Ricky Aguilar was stolen by Omarr Lawson and as he went through on goal, the Worthing man hauled him down. The referee pointed to the spot but overturned his decision after consulting with the assistant referee who deemed the offence just outside. Nevertheless, the officials saw it as denying a goal-scoring opportunity and the former Lewes youngster was shown a straight red card.

The next talking point came less than five minutes later. Lawson was again fouled, although this time it was on the half-way line. James Hammond saw the Worthing keeper off his line and shot from just inside the Worthing half. The ball flew into the net, hit the ground, bounced up onto the bar and out again. The Worthing fans and players claimed it hadn't gone in but again the assistant referee had the decisive say, informing the referee that the ball had crossed the line (video evidence proves this the case too) and the Rooks had the lead.

However, that lead lasted just 90 seconds as a harsh free-kick was given on the edge of the Rooks area and Ollie Pearce expertly flighted his free-kick over the Lewes wall and beyond the dive of Lewis Carey.

The home side were then forced into a change as the dangerous David Ajiboye was forced off, with former Rook Callum Kealy replacing him in the 43rd minute. However, it was a former team-mate of Kealy who caused the damage in the final minute of the half as Charlie Coppola controlled a difficulyt ball, beat two Worthing players as he ran across the edge of the box and fired into the corner, via a deflection.

Worthing certainly started the second half the more dangerous, putting the Lewes goal under early pressure but it was the Rooks who extended their lead in the 52nd minute. Former Rebel Kieron Pamment danced his way into the area before shooting, which keeper Perntreou could only parry into the path of Luke Blewden who made no mistake from 10 yards. The Rooks could have had a 4th when Coppola's neat turn and shot just spun wide of the far post.

Instead it was at the other end that the chances started to fall. Veteran midfielder Darren Budd came on to replace Aaran Racine and he delivered the corner that Crystal Palace loanee Jalen Jones powered in with 20 minutes to play.

Nervousness crept into the Rooks side as they desperately defended, praying that lightning wouldn't strike twice in a season having been 3-2 up and playing against ten men when the sides met back in October. In the 90th minute though the nerves seemed to be settled when a sweeping move from left to right saw Jonte Smith dummy the ball for Callum Overton to run onto and smash home his first goal for Lewes.

But Worthing weren't done and in the 6th minute of injury time a scramble in the Lewes area saw the referee award a penalty, then bizarrely brandish a second yellow for Worthing's Darren Budd. Ollie Pearce smashed home the penalty to make it 4-3.

Despite the efforts of the home side, Lewes sat firm for the final few minutes and recorded another excellent away victory, one that took them back up to 2nd in the table.

Post-match, assistant manager Ross Standen spoke to Barry Collins about the game.

Highlights of the game can be found here, thanks to Your Instant Replay

The Rooks return to the Dripping Pan next Saturday for the Bostik League Premier Division game against Wingate & Finchley, kick-off 3pm.

Worthing: Perntreou, Colbran, Jones, Clarke, Barker (Miles - 82 mins), Racine (Budd - 57 mins), Ajiboye (Kealy - 42 mins), Aguiar, Pearce, Pattenden, Rance

Subs not used: Rents, Skerry

Booked: Miles, Budd,

Sent off: Aguiar, Budd

Lewes: Carey, Reed, Day (Smith - 62 mins), Reed, Oluwatimilehin, Chappell, Freeman, Coppola (Overton - 86 mins), Hammond, Blewden, Lawson, Pamment

Subs not used: Karl, Gifford, Dome-Bemwin

Attendance: 1,124 (Estimated 300 Rooks)