Lewes FC
Men's 1st
Worthing FC
Men's 1st
Lewes FC
Men's 1st
Worthing FC
Men's 1st
Buy Tickets

Match Details

About Woodside Road

After the main stand burnt down in 1985, the club have rebuilt the ground into one of the best in the Isthmian League.   The impressive new main stand which is situated along the near touchline, dominates the ground and has been significantly improved over the past few years and offers some excellent views of the game. The stand also houses dressing rooms and function areas, as well as the Rebels’ Tavern, again, completely remodelled and modernised in the past few years.

For those wishing to stand, an alternative to the grandstand is provided on the touchline opposite, between the two dugouts. Behind and to either side of the cover is a grass bank that extends for most of the touchline, although there is also a small area of terracing at either end. Standing on the bank is prohibited, it remains a popular vantage point for many.  There are further covered terraced areas at each end of the ground, where the acoustics are excellent.  

There’s an outdoor bar area, which is very popular in the warmer months and the food, sold from the windows by the entrance, is hearty and well-priced.  It’s been far too long since we visited for a league game and already Worthing is likely to be one of the best away trips of the season.

How to get to Woodside Road

Go West, as the Pet Shop Boys said, along the A27 until you reach the roundabout with the A24, then take a left and drive past the Black Horse pub on your left and keep driving past the Jet petrol station which will also be on your left.  At the round-about, take the 2nd exit into Offington Lane. Remember that this is a 30mph road (watching the camera on your left) and carry on driving south. Continue to go straight on through the Thomas a’ Beckett traffic lights.

Follow the road round and go straight on at the first mini-roundabout.  About 100 meters along you’ll see another mini-roundabout, take a left here into St. Lawrence Avenue. There’s another mini-roundabout which you should go straight across.  150 meters along there’s another mini-roundabout, this time take a right down Nutbourne Road and continue going straight (negotiating the s-bend!) to the next junction.  Take a left down Bulkington Road and Woodside Road will be on your right in about 250 meters time although now would be a good time to park your car as Woodside Road itself gets very busy on match days.

Being a residential area, parking is tight.  On match days, driving/parking down Woodside Road is not advisable.  Try the roads situated around the ground: Bulkington Avenue, Nutbourne Road, Shermanbury Road, Gaisford Road, Woodmancote Road and at a possible Henty Road though this will get busy.  Journey from Lewes should take around 20-25 minutes depending on the traffic.

The ground is half a mile from Worthing (BR) Central station.  When you come out of the station, take an immediate right and walk parallel to the train-line down Cross Street.  About 100 meters down the road, you will see a train crossing.  Turn right here into South Farm Road.  Take the next left down Pavillion Road and walk along here for about 400 meters where you will see Woodside Road on the right and the ground is about another 200 meters on the left.

Admission at Woodside Road

Admission this season is £10 for adults, £5 for concessions (senior citizens and students), Under16s £3, 12 to 16-year olds £1 and accompanied under 16s are admitted free of charge.  

Fancy a beer?

The nearest pub to the ground is The Brooksteed Alehouse, a micro-pub, on South Farm Road, which is well-worth a visit.  The Corner House in the High Street is a free house and is also recommended.  Close by is the Selden Arms in Lyndhurst Road which has a good selection of craft ales.

Isthmian Premier League
Aug 13, 2019
7:45 pm
Woodside Rd, Worthing, East Sussex, BN14 7HQ

Match Report

A spirited second-half performance wasn't enough to help Lewes to three points in their first local derby of the season, as the ten-man Rooks fell to a disappointing defeat at Worthing reports Tom Harper.

Darren Freeman made one change to the side that drew 1-1 with Enfield Town on the opening day of the season, with Stefan Ilic replacing Charlie Coppola in the starting line-up.

The opening stages saw challenges flying in from both sides, but there were no chances of note as defences stayed on top early on.

This changed on 16 minutes as Worthing took the lead through Alex Parsons, who reacted quickest to score on the rebound after Lloyd Dawes saw his effort come back off the post.

Taking the lead galvanised the hosts, with Nathan Stroomberg forced into a smart save at his neear post to deny Reece Myles-Meekums just minutes later.

The Rooks found their way back into the game as the half progressed though, and were unfortunate not to equalise when Stacey Freeman headed a Stefan Ilic corner just wide.

They were made to pay for this miss four minutes before the break when Parsons latched onto a Darren Budd through-ball and finished past Stroomberg to score his second of the game and double Worthing's lead.

A difficult task became even tougher for Lewes just before half-time, as Ilic was shown a second yellow card for a late challenge on Worthing goalkeeper Rocco Rees.

The hosts made the most of their numerical advantage just four minutes into the second half, with Budd left unmarked at a corner to head past Stroomberg from close range.

It would have been easy for the Rooks to crumble at this point, but if anything, conceding a third goal seemed to take the pressure off, and they immediately pulled a goal back in spectacular fashion through Jordy Mongoy, who sent a superb half-volley from the edge of the area past Rees and into the top corner.

Mongoy nearly scored again minutes later, but saw his powerful strike pushed round the post by Rees.

Lewes were playing their best football of the game at this point and very nearly pulled another goal back just after the hour, with Dayshonne Golding hitting the bar with a powerful effort at the end of an impressive team move.

Worthing enjoyed plenty of possession in the closing stages but were finding it difficult to turn it into clear-cut opportunities against the hardworking and spirited Rooks, although Stroomberg was forced into a fine save to keep out a Jesse Starkey free-kick.

The final chance of the game fell to Lewes deep into stoppage time, as Rees reacted superbly to push a deflected Kieron Pamment strike over the bar.

This was a disappointing result for Lewes in the first local derby of the season, but they can take plenty of encouragement from a spirited second-half display with ten men.

Highlights of the game can be viewed here.

The Rooks will hope to build on this and record their first win of the season when they welcome Bowers & Pitsea to the Pan on Saturday, kick-off at 3pm.

Worthing: Rees, Colbran, Jones, Budd (Armstrong 71), Barker, Tennent, Dawes (Ayoola 59), Sherman (Doughty 79), Parsons, Myles-Meekums, Starkey.
Unused Subs: Stevens, Pearce
Booked: Sherman, Doughty

Lewes: Stroomberg, Day, Ilic, Dome-Bemwin, Chappell, S. Freeman, Pamment, Hammond, Mongoy, Coppola, Adeyemo (Bown 77 mins)
Unused Subs: Barclay, Fagan, T. Freeman, Diedrick-Roberts.
Booked: Ilic, S. Freeman, Hammond, Adeyemo
Sent off: Ilic

Attendance: 1,150